wg-multicast - RE: Beacon Server Hostname

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: Beacon Server Hostname

  • From: "Todd Chapman" <>
  • To: "Brent Draney" <>
  • Cc: "wg-multicast List" <>
  • Subject: RE: Beacon Server Hostname
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:52:03 -0700

No, there are separate hostnames for each address.

The problem is that the world does not get the chance to see that
because the beacon software gets the hostname using Net::Domain and
Sys::Hostname in the beacon.in program. It then uses the FQDN to perform
a reverse lookup of the ip. That info is then returned to the beacon
program which sends the hostname/ip info to the central server. When I
first start beacon, I can see that the proper interface is used, but it
is using the wrong hostname. I am trying to fool it into using a static
hostname in the beacon.in file.

First instance on box:

[root@bacon
tachapma]#
Stopped a previously running Beacon (PID = 4595) prior to
starting this Beacon.
Opening session on interface "128.120.3.226".

Starting Beacon "1.3-0" as "beacon" on Thu Mar 15 10:45:29 2007.
This host is "bacon.ucdavis.edu", ssrc = 0x634ceca5, PID =
15590.
Multicast Group = 233.24.48.15, Port = 40002, TTL = 127. OS =
"linux"

Output files being written to "/var/www/html/private/central/"

Second Instance on box:

[root@bacon
tachapma]#
Stopped a previously running Beacon (PID = 15460) prior to
starting this Beacon.
Opening session on interface "192.82.111.253".

Starting Beacon "1.3-0" as "beacon" on Thu Mar 15 10:47:02 2007.
This host is "bacon.ucdavis.edu", ssrc = 0x6b3dacd7, PID =
15605.
Multicast Group = 233.4.200.18, Port = 10002, TTL = 127. OS =
"linux"

Output files being written to
"/var/www/html/private/ext-beacon/"

Alarm/Notification notices will be sent to

when those features are implemented.

Go to http://jhereg.ncsa.uiuc.edu to see this Beacon's output.

The second instance should be showing up on the central server as
ham.ucdavis.edu with an ip matching the interface being used. Anyone
have any ideas on how to correct this?

Thanks,
Todd