wg-multicast - Re: Linux as a multicast router?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Linux as a multicast router?

  • From: Dan Oachs <>
  • To: Greg Wickham <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Linux as a multicast router?
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 21:44:32 -0600

We are currently using xorp ( http://xorp.org/ ) to do multicast routing on our campus and pimd to connect it to internet2. They both seem to be working well. We did have some stability issues with xorp on new hardware, but it has been running great for about a month now on older hardware (P4 1.8Ghz). xorp is handling multicast routing between 12 subnets and delivering about 10 iptv channels at 4Mbit/s each and video streams from internet2 without any trouble ( https://gustv.gac.edu/tv.php ) .

--Dan Oachs
Gustavus Adolphus College

Greg Wickham wrote:
Hi All,

Pondering a networking issue for one of our members I was wondering if
Linux could be used as a multicast router (to prevent multicast from
having to go through their firewall).

Some quick research yields mrouted. But the latest I can find is version
3.9beta3 dated 26 April 1999.

Is this the software & version to use?

Has anyone any experience with mrouted?

Tia,