wg-multicast - Re: Linux as a multicast router?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Linux as a multicast router?

  • From: Tom Pusateri <>
  • To: "Greg Wickham" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Linux as a multicast router?
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 22:39:45 -0500
  • Comments: In-reply-to "Greg Wickham" <> message dated "Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:31:31 +1100."

In message
<
.edu.au> you write:

>Hi All,
>
>Pondering a networking issue for one of our members I was wondering if
>Linux could be used as a multicast router (to prevent multicast from
>having to go through their firewall).
>
>Some quick research yields mrouted. But the latest I can find is version
>3.9beta3 dated 26 April 1999.
>
>Is this the software & version to use?
>
>Has anyone any experience with mrouted?
>
>Tia,
>
> -Greg

It depends on what equipment you are connecting to.
mrouted implements DVMRP which isn't used any more.
PIM sparse-mode is almost used exclusively now.

For an implementation and Live CD that runs on Linux, see http://xorp.org/

Thanks,
Tom