wg-multicast - Re: Ballard expedition

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Ballard expedition

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Ballard expedition
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:54:49 -0500

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 08:35:40AM -0800, Amel Caldwell wrote:
> Hi Brian--
>
> I am with the Pacific Northwest Gigapop and verify that I cannot see
> your stream at this time.
>
> It looks like the problem stems from the fact that we hear 131.128/16
> via unicast through Internet2 only. Via Multicast we hear 131.128/16
> from both Internet2 and NLR PacketNet (which we prefer). I believe this
> is causing RPF failures and we are rejecting the SA's for this group.
>
> I believe NOX (AS 10578) would need to address this.

This is interesting. According to the router proxy, NLR sees the route as:
1103 20965 11537 10578 14325 14348

That's SURFnet - GEANT - Internet2 - NoX - OSHEAN - URI

I don't think that SURFnet should be sending that prefix to NLR at all;
probably an error at that BGP connection. I'm copying the NLR NOC on this
note so that they can have a look at it. . .

Bill.