wg-multicast - Re: Another test

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Another test

  • From: Frank Fulchiero <>
  • To: Richard Mavrogeanes <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: Another test
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:45:11 -0400

Hi Rich,

One of our issues is that we want to install and/or support as few player "flavors" as possible on our 2500+ "campus community" computers (i.e: faculty, students, staff, etc.).
And that number is real small compared to some institutions.
So, we look for players that can perform as many functions as possible, and are also cross-platform (PC/Mac), as we are about 20% Mac. Not to forget the linux lovers, that would be a bonus, but a small percentage here.

We have more or less settled on QuickTime and VLC right now, for video clients, for the above reasons, along with the ubiquitous Flash (though we are not encoding in FLV).

QuickTime is installed on all computers here, and we are starting to look at VLC as the "other" player to support, if needed.

StreamPlayer is nice, but no Mac client, and does not decode as many codecs/file types as QT and VLC.

Of course, for specialized purposes, such as teaching stations, etc. I would be happy installing and supporting StreamPlayer if it's the best solution for the task at hand.
And StreamPlayer Plus offers more advantages and features, if they are needed.

Just my humble $.02, and we are just getting started in this, so we have a lot to learn. We also want to migrate the MPEG2 streams to AVC/ H.264 by next summer, if possible. That will be another learning curve.

Frank