wg-multicast - Re: Question on expected behavior.

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Question on expected behavior.

  • From:
  • To: Brent Draney <>
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: Question on expected behavior.
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:26:24 -0400

Brent,

Here is the sime topology map: This should help.

[receiver 1] ---- [switch A]-----------[switch B]--- [receiver 2]
\ /
\ /
[L2 switch]

[Source]

The Source can be seen by receiver 1, but not by receiver 2. Turn on VRRP
and single home it and everything works fine.
Switch A is the one that sends the PIM register messages to the RP. Switch
B, sees the src, and creates an entry in its mroute table.
The L2 switch is definitely sending traffic up to switch B.

Thanks
Anand

Brent Draney
<>

07/27/2006 12:50 PM

cc
,

Subject
Re: Question on expected behavior.

Have you tried bridging the 2 switches together without vrrp and
verifying that hosts on both switches will be able to join? I
would guess that its a snooping bug with bridged switches and
has nothing to do with vrrp which is a layer-3 thing.

Brent

> Hi,
> I have a question on what should be expected behavior for
> PIM/IGMP.
>
> I have a source which sits behind two switches that are running vrrp.
>
> Switch A IP: 10.1.1.9
> Switch B IP: 10.1.1.10
> Virtual IP: 10.1.1.11.
>
> I also have some users that are directly connected to Switch A, and
Switch