wg-multicast - Re: Question on expected behavior.

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Question on expected behavior.

  • From:
  • To: Dan Pritts <>
  • Cc: , "Jerry R. Cody" <>,
  • Subject: Re: Question on expected behavior.
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:06:53 -0400

Correct, unicast works either way. Its the multicast traffic that breaks,
when you are running vrrp.

Thanks
Anand

Dan Pritts
<>

07/27/2006 01:26 PM

"Jerry R. Cody"
<>
cc
,

Subject
Re: Question on expected behavior.

Based on the way I read the original poster's question, i assume that
unicast works in this environment regardless of which switch is the
vrrp master (gets confusing when these devices are both layer 2 and 3).
If that's the case then i would hope that multicast would work too, again
regardless which switch is the master.

I would expect that in a VRRP configuration, the VRRP "master" (I don't
know the correct VRRP terminology) would also be the IGMP querier.

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 01:15:04PM -0400, Jerry R. Cody wrote:
> This seems normal to me, I have some 8600 and Alteon switched firewalls
in
> my core network using VRRP between the firewalls. In short either Switch
> or B will be active via VRRP not both. In my situation I am not using
IGMP
> and multicasting but have it setup where there are 2 firewall switches
each
> going to the 8600 core with VRRP. The default route is the virtual IP so
> depending which switch is acting as the master A or B determines what
> switch/firewall passes the traffic. I suspect the same would be true for
> IGMP related traffic - unless I misunderstand what you are saying.
>
> DUKE University
> Fuqua School of Business
> IT-Infrastructure
> (919) 812-6439

Switch
> B. For some odd reason all users that are connected to Switch A can
> receive the stream.
> Everyone connected to Switch B cannot. The funny thing is that if I
> single home the same source onto switch A it works fine. If I single
home
> the src to Switch B it works fine. The only time it has issues is if
they
> are in this VRRP configuration.
>
> Question:
> Because Switch A is the IGMP designated router, does that mean Switch B
> should stop responding to any requests for that Group? even though its
> directly connected to that group?
>
> Or is this another Bug? Both switches are Nortel 8600's.
>
> Thanks
> Anand

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office 734/834-7224 mobile