wg-multicast - Re: DVGuide announces it's first IPv6 "channel"!

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: DVGuide announces it's first IPv6 "channel"!

  • From: Stig Venaas <>
  • To: Tim Chown <>
  • Cc: Jimmy Kyriannis <>, Alan Crosswell <>, hans <>, Bob Riddle <>, , , wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: DVGuide announces it's first IPv6 "channel"!
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:21:34 +0100

Tim Chown wrote:
On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 01:34:32AM -0500, Jimmy Kyriannis wrote:

Alan's absolutely right - we're using Embedded RP for this multicast group. As far as I know, this is either the first or among the first public uses of Embedded RP. With it, we're able to bypass the need for a single centralized m6bone RP as well as the need for something to facilitate inter-RP communications like MSDP, in the IPv4 multicast world. As Alan has shown, the RP's address is embedded within the multicast group address, pointing routers within your local organization's network to our RP at NYU for receipt of the multicast traffic.

Hi Jimmy,

This is great to see :)

Indeed :)

Hope to see more IPv6 multicast usage from those who attended the workshop ;) And of course everyone else as well.

There have been some public streams using embedded-RP before, however as Tim says, there are unfortunately some places where it isn't enabled yet.

Embedded-RP is the only scalable way of doing interdomain IPv6 multicast in addition to SSM. SSM would be a good solution for streaming. There are still only a few applications that support SSM (very latest version of vlc does) though, while embedded-RP requires no application support. There is also the problem of some systems and network equipment not supporting MLDv2.

Stig