wg-multicast - Re: DVGuide announces it's first IPv6 "channel"!

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: DVGuide announces it's first IPv6 "channel"!

  • From: Tim Chown <>
  • To: Jimmy Kyriannis <>
  • Cc: Alan Crosswell <>, hans <>, Bob Riddle <>, , , wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: DVGuide announces it's first IPv6 "channel"!
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:00:59 +0000

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 01:34:32AM -0500, Jimmy Kyriannis wrote:

> Alan's absolutely right - we're using Embedded RP for this multicast
> group. As far as I know, this is either the first or among the first
> public uses of Embedded RP. With it, we're able to bypass the need
> for a single centralized m6bone RP as well as the need for something
> to facilitate inter-RP communications like MSDP, in the IPv4
> multicast world. As Alan has shown, the RP's address is embedded
> within the multicast group address, pointing routers within your
> local organization's network to our RP at NYU for receipt of the
> multicast traffic.

Hi Jimmy,

This is great to see :)

We've been running an embedded RP 'public' service here for a while, as
a follow-on from 6NET; the problem is the definition of 'public'. Our
application is available to the JANET community, since the UK academic
IPv6 service supports it, but currently we have no availability beyond
that because GEANT have not turned on embedded RP on their Junipers.
Unfortunately this also means we can't test your application from here.

Our routers and JANET's are currently Cisco.

I think embedded RP has fantastic potential, and I understand that DANTE
will enable embedded RP on GEANT when they feel it is fully tested to
their satisfaction. Perhaps if Internet2 has positive experience on
Junipers it would help to relay that on, though at the tast TF-NGN
meeting I think deployment was announced for March/April, so not long to
wait :)

As soon as it is enabled, we'll be very keen to test your channel and
advertise our service, and heopefully show the value of embedded RP for
streamlining multicast deployment. Once we're all 'joined up' it would
be nice to have a range of applications to showcase.

Tim