wg-multicast - Re: Interdomain MSDP session from non RP

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Interdomain MSDP session from non RP

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Interdomain MSDP session from non RP
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:26:35 +0100

Hi everybody,
MSDP is a protocol designed to enable the exchange of informations about
multicast sources between RPs, so only RPs can be MSDP peers. We use an
internal RP and an external RP, exchanging their source tables by MSDP. The
external RP has MSDP sessions with RPs in other AS and with the internal
RP. The internal RP, which acts as the real PIM-SM trees supervisor, has
only a MSDP session with the external RP. Obviously the external RP doesn't
announce his RP role to routers outside of our AS, and doesn't acts as a
real working RP.

I hope this helps

Marco Restani
NOC Top-IX

"Tantsura, Jeff"

<jtantsura@upcbro

adband.com> cc:
"''"

<>

Subject: Interdomain MSDP
session from non RP
02/12/2005 10.29

Hi,

In ALL interdomain multicast docs you could see that interdomain MSDP
session are always setup between RP's in both domains.
I have also found that it is recommended to do it this way.
It sounds logic if RP is close to the border but why would you setup it
this
way if RP is many hops away,
in my opinion a border router or RR which runs eMBGP would run eMSDP just
fine, as long as it has iMSDP session with RP.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated,

Thanks,
Jeff