wg-multicast - Interdomain MSDP session from non RP

Subject: All things related to multicast

Interdomain MSDP session from non RP

  • From: "Tantsura, Jeff" <>
  • To:
  • Cc: "''" <>
  • Subject: Interdomain MSDP session from non RP
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 10:29:13 +0100

Hi,

In ALL interdomain multicast docs you could see that interdomain MSDP
session are always setup between RP's in both domains.
I have also found that it is recommended to do it this way.
It sounds logic if RP is close to the border but why would you setup it this
way if RP is many hops away,
in my opinion a border router or RR which runs eMBGP would run eMSDP just
fine, as long as it has iMSDP session with RP.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated,

Thanks,
Jeff