wg-multicast - multicast scalability specs

Subject: All things related to multicast

multicast scalability specs

  • From: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: multicast scalability specs
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:04:03 -0700 (PDT)

I'm looking for information on the capabilities of the major vendors
to handle various performance aspects of multicast, metrics like the
number of simultaneous groups that can be supported, the number of
IGMP and/or PIM updates, etc.

Since this is vendor-specific, please email me directly unless the
answer is vendor-agnostic. :-)

I'm basically trying to find evidence to make the case that there is
little chance of multicast running into scalability bottlenecks. Seems
obvious to this community, but actual facts would really help my case.

-Kevin

  • multicast scalability specs, Kevin C. Almeroth, 10/18/2005