wg-multicast - Re: notes from Vancouver BoF 7/18/05

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: notes from Vancouver BoF 7/18/05

  • From: Peter John Hill <>
  • To: debbie fligor <>
  • Cc: Alan Crosswell <>,
  • Subject: Re: notes from Vancouver BoF 7/18/05
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:22:52 -0700

On Jul 26, 2005, at 11:21 AM, debbie fligor wrote:

At 9:24 -0400 7/25/05, Alan Crosswell wrote:

- Firewall w/multicast?
-> - Ask Debbie
Fligor@UIUC

Yikes... are you talking about GRE tunnels and sending the multicast around them? Are you also doing something like msdp with prefix lists for filters to limit the traffic somewhat through the gre tunnel... what sources are allowed to be known from one side to the other?

I am curious as to the applications that one would want to run across a firewall that use multicast... I also wonder if there are better solutions then sending the multicast directly through? Something along the lines of what Tibco (yuck) does... or perhaps for something like video, a reflector outside the "trust boundary" of the firewall.

Just remember, multicast is fun!

Peter

I know more about how to bypass them than how to make them work.

--

-debbie
Debbie Fligor, n9dn Network Engineer, CITES, Univ. of Il

<http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/fligor>
"Every keystroke can be monitored. And the computers never forget."