wg-multicast - Re: Experience with Multicast in VPNV4 VRF

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Experience with Multicast in VPNV4 VRF

  • From: "David Farmer" <>
  • To: "Vietzke, Robert" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: Experience with Multicast in VPNV4 VRF
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:15:10 -0600

We are doing it using Cisco's mVPN solution. I am not aware of a
standards based solution just yet, IETF is still hashing this out. There
is a Draft that represents Cisco's solution and it is covered fairly well in
a Cisco Press book "MPLS and VPN Architectures - Volume 2" I
believe Juniper has a solution as well, I have not looked at it nor do I
know if it is compatible with Cisco's.

I'd be happy to talk with you and help with config, but I'd need more
details on you setup and what you want to accomplish.

On 11 Jan 2005 Vietzke, Robert wrote:

> All-
>
> I'm curious if anyone has attempted bringing Abilene multicast routes
> in to an MPLS VPN environment and if yes, would you be willing to
> share your experience/configs.
>
> We're hoping to bring our Abilene/NOX peer in to a VRF instance and
> then be able to ship it around to various connected sites on our State
> Education Network in a VPN. The advantages are it looks like 1-hop
> routing to the end user, and we get much tighter control of assuring
> who routes to where. The down side is multicast inside a MPLS VPN
> appears to be ugly.
>
> Rob
>

> Robert P. Vietzke, Network Architect
> Connecticut Education Network
> Director, CEN Advanced Services Center
> University of Connecticut
>
> 860-622-2238

David Farmer Email:

Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 FAX: 612-624-4035