wg-multicast - Experience with Multicast in VPNV4 VRF

Subject: All things related to multicast

Experience with Multicast in VPNV4 VRF

  • From: "Vietzke, Robert" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Experience with Multicast in VPNV4 VRF
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:12:21 -0500

All-

I'm curious if anyone has attempted bringing Abilene multicast routes in
to an MPLS VPN environment and if yes, would you be willing to share
your experience/configs.

We're hoping to bring our Abilene/NOX peer in to a VRF instance and then
be able to ship it around to various connected sites on our State
Education Network in a VPN. The advantages are it looks like 1-hop
routing to the end user, and we get much tighter control of assuring who
routes to where. The down side is multicast inside a MPLS VPN appears to
be ugly.

Rob

Robert P. Vietzke, Network Architect
Connecticut Education Network