wg-multicast - Re: MSDP SA explosion - sasser worm?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: MSDP SA explosion - sasser worm?

  • From: Joel Jaeggli <>
  • To: "Charles R. Anderson" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: MSDP SA explosion - sasser worm?
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 08:40:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Charles R. Anderson wrote:

> On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 04:33:28AM -0400, Bill Owens wrote:
>
> > If things aren't better by the morning I'm going to be working on a
> > filter to see whether I can let at least some of the legitimate
> > sources through, though I'm not exactly sure how to specify that. .
>
> JunOS 6.3 introduces per-source MSDP SA limits.

our old digital fountain boxes would source on as many as 400 multicast
groups. I could pretty much imagine one sourcing on more than 1000,
limiting a host to some arbitrary number of sources strikes me as a
dangerous presumption about how applications work. Of course they've
discontinued the multicast fountain and no-one else appears to do that so
it's entirely possible that the issue is moot.

joelja

Joel Jaeggli Unix Consulting

GPG Key Fingerprint: 5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2