wg-multicast - Re: SSM deployment statistics

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: SSM deployment statistics

  • From: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>
  • To: Hitoshi Asaeda <>
  • Cc: , <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: SSM deployment statistics
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:02:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Hitoshi Asaeda wrote:

>>Does anyone know papaers/links/presentations describing "how SSM is
>>deployed in the Internet", including the measurement of the num of SSM
>>services/traffic etc.?
>>Statistical issue would be great.

I don't know of anything... it would be tough to measure... in my
mind, SSM is defined as edge routers speaking IGMPv3 and hosts speaking
IGMPv3. Sort of hard to measure unless one has a collection point in
every LAN.

If anyone has any good ideas on how to measure this, I'm up for it.
For example, collect stats from SSM sources on who actually joins,
but this has its weaknesses too.

-Kevin