wg-multicast - Re: Inter-domain IPv6 multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Inter-domain IPv6 multicast

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: "Michael H. Lambert" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Inter-domain IPv6 multicast
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:35:18 -0500

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 09:35:00AM -0500, Michael H. Lambert wrote:
> Could someone please summarize embedded-RP to the list so that those of
> us who haven't been paying any attention to IETF multicast efforts will
> gain some clew?

The idea is straightforward, but ingenious; configure an RP at a special
address within your IPv6 space, one that can then be encoded into a few bits
that become part of the group address. It builds on RFC 3306
"Unicast-Prefix-based IPv6 Multicast Addresses". It lets you generate
globally unique group addresses, and avoid flooding source information (so no
more MSDP) or having to discover sources out of band (SSM).

The current version is draft-ietf-mboned-embeddedrp-02.txt. There's been
quite a bit of discussion about it on the IETF mboned list in the last couple
of weeks, but mostly around how it interacts with bidirectional PIM (which I
don't fully understand). Looks like it will go to last call soon, and start
on the standards track.

The only implementation I now of is in IOS, you can find the versions with
Feature Navigator. I have a router that's running it but haven't lashed up a
test yet. . .

Bill.