wg-multicast - Inter-domain IPv6 multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Inter-domain IPv6 multicast

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Inter-domain IPv6 multicast
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:29:12 -0500

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 06:06:15AM -0800, Kevin C. Almeroth wrote:
> The policy at this point is that Abilene isn't going
> to run RPs or MSDP (peers) in the core routers for IPv6.
> This doesn't preclude campuses from doing something
> different but campuses should support IPv6 SSM.

That sounds like a plan, though I think that embdedded-RP will likely play a
role as well. Although Abilene could run a v6 RP, of course there's no choice
to run MSDPv6 because there is no MSDPv6. Unfortunately the Abilene core
routers don't support embedded-RP, but that's not suprising since it is still
just a draft. I do expect that *someone* will continue to run a global RP,
and probably one for v4-v6 conversion, even after we transition to native v6
multicast.

Bill.