wg-multicast - Re: Testing multicast stream from VLC

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Testing multicast stream from VLC

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Testing multicast stream from VLC
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:10:22 -0500

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 10:43:45AM -0800,

wrote:

> Nice vid Bill!! Did you get this clip from www.archive.org?

Yep, just a random choice. It was on the front page for 'most
popular downloads':

http://www.archive.org/movies/movies-details-db.php?collection=prelinger&collectionid=05802&from=mostViewed

> So you've used VLC to receive v6 mcast? On what OS?

Send and receive both work on MacOS 10.2 and 10.3, and on Debian
GNU/Linux. Receive sort of works with Windows XP, but only if we
completely disable the ZoneAlarm 'firewall' software; it also
appears that the VLC decoder is either somewhat broken or just too
CPU-intesive for the machines I've been able to test with. MPEG-4
looked OK, MPEG-1 and 2 were terrible.

My test router is an old Cisco 7206 with NPE-150, basically the
beater/lab box, and it does suprisingly well. CPU load with a 1.5
Mbps stream is below 15%, and no drops that I've noticed. Of course,
the v6 multicast traffic beats the tar out of the switches on both
sides, but the only other users are my officemates and they're all
geeks too ;)

I'm not on the m6bone yet, for lack of cycles to go through their
docs and set up the config, but if somebody wants to play site-to-site
with a tunnel, let me know. I suspect that anything able to run
IOS 12.3 would deal with the amount of traffic I'm generating, or
certainly a Juniper with a Tunnel PIC and recent JUNOS.

Bill.