wg-multicast - Re: constraining that pesky 239.255/16 traffic in a CGMP Borg

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: constraining that pesky 239.255/16 traffic in a CGMP Borg

  • From: Amel Caldwell <>
  • To: Alan Crosswell <>
  • Cc: Ronan Kelly <>, Mark Quigley <>, wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: constraining that pesky 239.255/16 traffic in a CGMP Borg
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:11:33 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

Alan--

The Apple SLP II (239.255.255.253) was what caused us the most grief and why
we chose to confine 239.255.0.0/16 to the subnets and not allow it on our
backbones. Since you have Ciscoes, you could use the multicast boundary
statement on the user subnet interfaces to block inbound/outbound traffic at
that level. Then the CGMP speaaking switches on your backbone would not see
this traffic.

Amel