wg-multicast - Re: VideoLAN (was multicast stats)

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: VideoLAN (was multicast stats)

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: VideoLAN (was multicast stats)
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:19:57 -0400

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 02:30:33PM -0700, Greg Shepherd wrote:
> Bill Owens wrote:
> > If anyone else wants to test, I have some legal content available*
> > and can source or sink. I'm a bit constrained on bandwidth just this
> > moment, so we might have to keep it to MPEG-1. And it isn't germane
> > to this group, but I'm also interested in testing IPv4 vs IPv6
> > unicast streams over the wide area. . .
>
> Do you have a the session info, a link, or is it advertised via SAP?

I think I've now worked out some of the local issues that I had, and can do a
meaningful test of v4 versus v6 unicast with VLC. Of course v6 multicast
doesn't work on the wide area yet, though I can report that I have it running
locally between two networks with a Cisco router between, running 12.3(2)T1.
Notwitstanding the rather weak documentation and the flooded traffic on the
switches, it does pretty well.

So, if anybody wants to try it I'm running a loop of Prelinger archive
material on 233.14.172.1/1234, and can do unicast v4 or v6 if there are any
volunteers.

Now I just have to figure out how to do this with SSM. . .

Bill.

  • Re: VideoLAN (was multicast stats), Bill Owens, 10/16/2003