wg-multicast - RE: SSDP to 239.255.255.240

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: SSDP to 239.255.255.240

  • From: "John Barlow" <>
  • To: "wg-multicast" <>
  • Subject: RE: SSDP to 239.255.255.240
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 13:27:03 +1000

At 12:31 -0400 9/5/03, Alan Crosswell wrote:
>... I hadn't realized 239 was further subdivided.

Just as an interesting aside, I have set up the scoped areas within the
Australia research network, so we have a scoped section of the address
space for all of Australia; a scoped section for use within a state
(typically that implies within a capital city); a scoped section within
a member of the research network (that typically equates to a single
university) and have left them with address space that can divide for
use within sections of their campus; down to the standard link-local
scope.

Of note, nobody has used these4 scopes yet (other than link local :-).

My doco can be found:

http://www.aarnet.edu.au/engineering/networkdesign/multicast/adminscope.
html

Does anybody have any objections/comments on how I have divided up the
scope address block ?

John Barlow
GrangeNet
Advanced Communication Services coordinator
ph: +61 (2) 6222 3553
fax: +61 (2) 6222 3535
mob: +61 (413) 880207