wg-multicast - RE: The Black Sea Project

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: The Black Sea Project

  • From: "Richard Mavrogeanes" <>
  • To: "Richard Mavrogeanes" <>
  • Cc: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: The Black Sea Project
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 10:21:40 -0400

Update

I wish to thank the many people who volunteered to help. Here is an update:

The video is now being broadcast from the ship. For testing, the video is
often just
a movie sourced from a DVD player on this ship, and much of the testing is
resolving satellite transmission issues. The project begins on July 28th, so
prior
to this the video feed may be just these sorts of tests.

There are three "channels" -- MPEG-2 at 4 Mbps, MPEG-4 at 180 Kbps, and
MPEG-4 at 56 Kbps (for dial-up users to the public Internet).

Although I don't have local I2 access, I can use the test tunneling client and
I successfully see the Program Guide (SAP's) listed in StreamPlayer. I can
also receive the (lower speed) video. I have communicated with a number
of folks who have sucessfully tuned in, and I see the sessions listed on
several SDR monitors. All of the sessions have TTL=127, and I see the
sessions on SDR monitor in Germany, etc.

I have communicated with several people who wish to see the video but
cannot. This appears to be true because of firewall issues, or lack of
multicast
in the campus LAN. I would encourage anyone with these issues to post their
questions here, and perhaps others on the list can provide assistance.

It is easy to tune in using StreamPlayer (which is free and is a web page
with embedded
player) or StreamPlayer Plus (available as a 30-day free demo). When you
launch
StreamPlayer, you should see the Program Guide populate with the various MPEG
multicast sessions currently available on the Internet-2. If you do not see
this list,
you likely do not have multicast connectivity...so far this has been the case
with a
number of interested parties. It would be pointless to manually enter an
address
if you cannot see the list since both the list and the videos are multicast.
These
players are only available for Windows machines, but you can contact us about
availability of a Linux player. I will also send a URL to a dedicated player
this list in a few days.

I was surprized to learn that SAP propagation seems slow, and if anyone can
offer insight into this question I would be happy to learn. We issue SAP's
for
the program guide, but I find that they often don't show up on some desktops
until many hours have passed.

If you do tune in from time to time, please know that the video jumps,
freezes,
and artifacts are all coming from the source at this point. Also please know
that
the audio is currently disabled.

I would be happy to receive periodic messages from anyone with viewing
reports.

Thanks again,

Rich Mavrogeanes
VBrick Systems, Inc.