wg-multicast - Beacon from Nanog23 site

Subject: All things related to multicast

Beacon from Nanog23 site

  • From: Toerless Eckert <>
  • To: Phillip Harris <>, , , , , , , , Beau Williamson <>, Toerless Eckert <>, Mike McBride <>, John Meylor <>, , , , , Leslie Iwasaki <>
  • Subject: Beacon from Nanog23 site
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:43:56 -0700

Hi *,

We have set up a beacon from the Nanog23 site to allow checking in
advance if multicast transmission works fine (both routing and
bandwidth). So far we could not get anything but routers into
the Oakland conference site, so we just have a router test application
sending empty UDP packets:

"H.261": ~384 kbps -> 60 packets/sec at 800 bytes
(65.174.250.11,233.24.11.1) port 25011
"MPEG1": ~1 Mbps -> 160 packets/sec at 800 bytes
(65.174.250.12,233.24.11.2) port 25012
"MPEG2": ~5 Mbps -> 800 packets/sec at 800 bytes
(65.174.250.13,233.24.11.3) port 25013

Notes: MPEG2 transmission is targeted at 4 mbps, just the beacon
is 20% higher to be on the safe side. Also the packet sizes
are set lower than the typical apps will give us to be on the
safe side of performance - if the beacon get's through without
loss, the actual video stream would too.

We'll try to let the beacon run until the conference begins, but
no guarantees.

The actual conference session info can be found on:
http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0110/network.html#multi

Cheers
Toerless

P.S.:

If you don't have a favourite router or host tool to receive and
count such void streams, then check out my own messy program in
ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/eckert/push (no, i do not have a windows
binary, but yes, this is just a hack).

push -c -r 233.24.11.1 -p 25011 -m 10 &
push -c -r 233.24.11.2 -p 25012 -m 10 &
push -c -r 233.24.11.3 -p 25013 -m 10 &

Should display:

Received 60 pps of size 800 in 10 sec = 46.875 kbyte/sec from
65.174.250.11
Received 160 pps of size 800 in 10 sec = 125.000 kbyte/sec from
65.174.250.12
Received 800 pps of size 800 in 10 sec = 625.000 kbyte/sec from
65.174.250.13

Every 10 seconds.