wg-multicast - Re: newbie list? + some questions

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: newbie list? + some questions

  • From: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • To: Jess Emerson Uy <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: newbie list? + some questions
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:55:40 -0400

>hi guys,
>
>I was wondering if there is a newbie multicasting list? I'm just hesitant

>to ask here coz it seems like everyone knows what they are doing
>already...and the traffic is small that I don't know if this is only
>reserved for more advanced questions. anyway, here are some of my
>questions for now.

The IPMulticast mailing list is the default newbie list.

>1.)
>Has anyone tried using IP multicasting using linux as a router instead of
>an expensive cisco/other brand of routers? if so, can someone point me to

>a document/link/tutorial on how to make it work? I want to implement IP
>multicasting but I want it cheap.

There are a number of them for *nix
http://www.gated.org/ supports PIM as does PIM-d
http://netweb.usc.edu/pim/

There have been discussions about this on various lists;
I could look around if you need more.

Please note that you do not need a router to source or
receive multicasts, as long as your ISP or network is multicast
enabled.

>2.)
>regarding the routing algorithms, there are several right? which ones do
>you guys use and why? what are the particular advantages of using one over

>the other? for what type of networks/topology will a particular routing
>algorithm work better?

You want to use PIM-SM. It scales the best and interoperates
the best with other multicast domains.

>3.)
>what are the minimum requirements in terms of hardware and software when
>you want to do IP multicasting? I prefer using open-source/free software
>too. ;) what software do you use? (I've bumped into OpenMash while I was
>searching the net, made by some berkeley people. I haven't tried it yet
>coz I still have to find connect to a multicast enabled isp here in the
>philippines)

I do not know of one. We might be able to offer you a tunnel,
which is a quick solution but not entirely optimal.

>what network topology may probably be the best choice and why? are there
>open source/free software already available for windows/mac/linux?
>(openmash has windows and linux but not mac yet)

Most modern OS (post Win95, Mac, Linux, BSD, etc.) can source
and receive multicasts. See www.live.com for lots
of good information. We have an open source MP3 player at
http://mctplayer.sourceforge.net/ and there is also MIM
http://videolab.uoregon.edu/mim/
and also (if you want to be futuristic) the
MPEG4IP effort - http://www.mpeg4ip.net/ -
which is fully multicast enabled.

>btw, I know there is vic/vat but I wonder if they can all run on all three

>OSes. I've read in ftp://ftp.isi.edu/mbone/faq.txt about hardware configs
>but it doesn't mention intel/amd systems yet...of course it is an old
>documentation but can anyone point me to a more recent documentation for
>these? I may have missed out on some/a lot of stuff.
>
>most of the stuff mentioned in the faq are sun sparcs, sgi's etc. anyone
>knows documentation for windows, linux and mac?
>
>4.)
>where can I find tips and tricks in IP multicasting? what mailing list is
>available out there that might be more suited to these type of questions?
>is it ok to ask these questions here? even the newbie type?
>
>5.)
>
>what urls have the latest info about multicasting faqs? I read the
>ftp://ftp.isi.edu/mbone/faq.txt but that is still dated 1993 (way old),
>there might be newer ones.

well, I recommend
http://www.multicasttech.com/faq/multicast_faq.html
(because I maintain it :).

>--------------------------------------
>Jess Emerson L. Uy
>Ateneo Cervini-Eliazo Networks (ACENT)
>email :
>
>web : http://cersa.admu.edu.ph/
>phone : 63(2)4266001-5925/5904
>
>Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate
>and captain of your soul.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

Multicast Technologies, Inc.
Phone : 703-293-9601 Fax : 703-293-9609
e-mail :

http://www.on-the-i.com

Test your network for multicast :
http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/
Check the status of multicast in real time :
http://www.multicasttech.com/status/index.html

Marshall Eubanks

  • newbie list? + some questions, Jess Emerson Uy, 09/12/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: newbie list? + some questions, Marshall Eubanks, 09/12/2001