wg-multicast - Re: anyone with positive confirmation that multicast works on macosX (10.0.4)

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: anyone with positive confirmation that multicast works on macosX (10.0.4)

  • From: Alastair Matthews <>
  • To: Joel Jaeggli <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: anyone with positive confirmation that multicast works on macosX (10.0.4)
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 16:48:55 +0100

On 11/9/01 8:41 pm, "Joel Jaeggli"

> To:
> ,
> UO Multicast Mailing list
> <multicast@lists>
> Subject: anyone with positive confirmation that multicast works on macosX
> (10.0.4)

It works for me.

Have you seen the new version of MacTV?
http://www.iWitnessTV.com/

> Originally when I installed macos 9.1 and macosX on this grey g3 (266mhz),
> I was able to install quicktime5 and mactv and join multicast mpeg
> sources... after the 10.0.4 update was installed... I not longer am able
> to join sessions...

I've got a G4 400 with a vanilla install of 10.0.4. I'm able join sessions
(Didn't try mpeg, just H.261) fine and looking at our router the host
responds to IGMP queries, state is maintained.

I used Quicktime and an SDP file generated by SillySAP.

Note the machine has nothing else installed.

There is a problem with MacOS 9...

> Glad to hear the workaround is working for you too. The Apple
> engineer still feels that it's a timing problem in Open Transport but
> at least there's a pretty painless workaround.
>
> The probelematic version of IPNM is 2.4.5 (actually the problem is
> with OTmodl$proxy 1.6.5) This is still on the Sustworks web site as
> the officially released version while 2.5c7 is their developement
> version.
>
> I downloaded 2.4.5 yesterday and installed it on an iMac that never
> previously exhibited this problem and voila it has the 3 minute
> timeout too.
>
> Regards,
> Joe Huber

Your problem may well be caused by something else you've installed :-(

> Interestingly engouh the netstat utility when asked to display multicast
> information show 0 datagrams recieved... Likewise when asked to display
> comprehensive stats for each protocol. It shows 86 igmp messages recieved
> but no reports sent...

My machine is sending reports.

Just wish the NOC could fix the Multicast Problems we're having... About 3
mins of data, 3 mins of silence... 3mins data... 3 mins silence. Seems their
peering is messed up :-(

A.

--
Alastair Matthews