wg-multicast - newbie list? + some questions

Subject: All things related to multicast

newbie list? + some questions

  • From: Jess Emerson Uy <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: newbie list? + some questions
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:06:09 +0800 (PHT)

hi guys,

I was wondering if there is a newbie multicasting list? I'm just hesitant
to ask here coz it seems like everyone knows what they are doing
already...and the traffic is small that I don't know if this is only
reserved for more advanced questions. anyway, here are some of my
questions for now.

1.)
Has anyone tried using IP multicasting using linux as a router instead of
an expensive cisco/other brand of routers? if so, can someone point me to
a document/link/tutorial on how to make it work? I want to implement IP
multicasting but I want it cheap.

2.)
regarding the routing algorithms, there are several right? which ones do
you guys use and why? what are the particular advantages of using one over
the other? for what type of networks/topology will a particular routing
algorithm work better?

3.)
what are the minimum requirements in terms of hardware and software when
you want to do IP multicasting? I prefer using open-source/free software
too. ;) what software do you use? (I've bumped into OpenMash while I was
searching the net, made by some berkeley people. I haven't tried it yet
coz I still have to find connect to a multicast enabled isp here in the
philippines)

what network topology may probably be the best choice and why? are there
open source/free software already available for windows/mac/linux?
(openmash has windows and linux but not mac yet)

btw, I know there is vic/vat but I wonder if they can all run on all three
OSes. I've read in ftp://ftp.isi.edu/mbone/faq.txt about hardware configs
but it doesn't mention intel/amd systems yet...of course it is an old
documentation but can anyone point me to a more recent documentation for
these? I may have missed out on some/a lot of stuff.

most of the stuff mentioned in the faq are sun sparcs, sgi's etc. anyone
knows documentation for windows, linux and mac?

4.)
where can I find tips and tricks in IP multicasting? what mailing list is
available out there that might be more suited to these type of questions?
is it ok to ask these questions here? even the newbie type?

5.)

what urls have the latest info about multicasting faqs? I read the
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/mbone/faq.txt but that is still dated 1993 (way old),
there might be newer ones.

Jess Emerson L. Uy
Ateneo Cervini-Eliazo Networks (ACENT)
email :

web : http://cersa.admu.edu.ph/
phone : 63(2)4266001-5925/5904

Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate
and captain of your soul.