wg-multicast - Re: Receiver-sensitive transmitters [Was: IPv4 multicast best current practice I-D; MSNIP]

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Receiver-sensitive transmitters [Was: IPv4 multicast best current practice I-D; MSNIP]

  • From: Bill Nickless <>
  • To: Bill Fenner <>
  • Cc: , , , , ,
  • Subject: Re: Receiver-sensitive transmitters [Was: IPv4 multicast best current practice I-D; MSNIP]
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 10:45:15 -0500

Earlier, I wrote:

>An interesting experiment would be to implement a multicast media server
>that "speaks" PIM-SM just enough to accept (S,G) joins. Upon receipt of a
>specific (S,G) join the media server could crank up the requested
>transmission.

At 11:53 AM 4/11/2001 -0700, Bill Fenner wrote:
You might want to look at draft-ietf-idmr-msnip-00.{txt,ps}. It
describes an generic algorithm for hosts to learn of external interest
(specifically for SSM). The advantage of not using PIM-SM directly is
that the underlying routing protocol can change but the host<>router
protocol stays the same (just like IGMP).

The advantage of running an experiment with PIM-SM directly is that implementations of PIM-SM are widely available now. Such an experiment does not imply that MSNIP is not needed, and I believe the results of such an experiment could be useful in the development and deployment of MSNIP.

===
Bill Nickless http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7

  • Re: Receiver-sensitive transmitters [Was: IPv4 multicast best current practice I-D; MSNIP], Bill Nickless, 05/03/2001