wg-multicast - Re: Anyone having Juniper MBGP problems?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Anyone having Juniper MBGP problems?

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: Bill Owens <>, mbone mail list <>, Al Adler <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Anyone having Juniper MBGP problems?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:00:54 -0500

Bill Owens wrote:

> I'm seeing odd behavior on my two Juniper M20s that multicast peer
> with Abilene. Overall they do multicast very well, and even seem
> resistant to the MSDP storms. But I am seeing some unexplained
> behavior on the BGP sessions with the two Abilene GSRs (NYCM and
> CLEV). The unicast routing is fine, but over time the number of
> multicast routes received across the peering session slowly
> decreases. I have confirmed with the NOC that the GSRs are still
> sending the full multicast table. A soft reset on the session has no
> effect, but after a full clear the entire table comes back.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this problem, either with a Juniper or a Cisco?
> I suspect it is related to the MSDP storms; unfortunately, since they
> refuse to go away I can't really tell. . .
>
> Bill.

Hi;

We have seen a decline of mbgp :

multicasttech-2>show ip mbgp sum
BGP router identifier 206.61.163.252, local AS number 16517
BGP table version is 177079, main routing table version 1
4661 network entries and 5030 paths using 633197 bytes of memory
30551 BGP path attribute entries using 1833060 bytes of memory
25812 BGP AS-PATH entries using 658826 bytes of memory
1 BGP community entries using 24 bytes of memory
7 BGP route-map cache entries using 112 bytes of memory
25638 BGP filter-list cache entries using 307656 bytes of memory
BGP activity 171692/119753 prefixes, 801750/607440 paths, scan interval 15
secs

This is from Sprint and InfoNet (vBNS is down at present).

Both MBGP and MSDP are down in numbers. I suspect people are taking multicast
connectivity down
during the MSDP storms.
--
Regards