wg-multicast - Juniper MBGP problems solved

Subject: All things related to multicast

Juniper MBGP problems solved

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Juniper MBGP problems solved
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:58:18 -0500

It turns out to have been a Cisco problem. They have a bug in their handling of multiprotocol BGP when peers are configured in peer-groups. The BGP header includes the correct next-hop, but the next hop field in the MP_REACH_NLRI incorrectly contains the address of another interface on the router. Cisco appears to assume that all eBGP peers in the peer-group will themselves be fully meshed.

If you have access to the Cisco bug database, you can look at:

CSCds54055 - BGP next hop changes with peer-groups configured with next-hop-self
CSCds06065 - BGP mBGP should use nexthop value present in MP_REACH

They may in fact be two reports of the same bug, the descriptions aren't terribly clear. In any case, my peering with the Abilene CLEV router was moved out of the peer-group yesterday, and the errors and loss of multicast routes immediately stopped. Once that is done for my other router I'm sure it will be fixed as well. I'd guess that this bug could also affect other vendors' routers when they peer with a Cisco, but I'm not sure if anyone besides Juniper supports MBGP. If you have a Juniper and are wondering if you're affected, I can send your more details of how to detect the problem. . .

Bill.

  • Juniper MBGP problems solved, Bill Owens, 01/26/2001