wg-multicast - Re: [Fwd: fixed Q table bitrates]

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: [Fwd: fixed Q table bitrates]

  • From: Denis DeLaRoca <>
  • To: Bob Riddle <>
  • Cc: OpenMash <>,
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: fixed Q table bitrates]
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:09:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Bob Riddle wrote:

> I'd be happy to participate in this experiment. Other than setting up the
> Linux machine & acquiring the LML33 board, what else do I need to do to get
> ready? Is the Redhat distribution of Linux okay to work with?

I think the Redhat distribution is the preferred one... over the weekend,
I looked at the LM33 driver doc from Linux Media Labs and they support
Redhat Linux... their doc suggests a minimum of a 200-Mhz Pentium
platform... this is the driver that Matthew Delco at BMRC has modified...
Larry's suggested recipe for the experiment follows,

1. Both the send and receive hosts are Linux PC's with a Linux Media
Labs LML33 mjpeg card ($410 at http://www.linuxmedialabs.com/).
2. The composite output of the video source is connected to the card.
3. We run a program, named "rtpvb" for RTP Video Bridge, that grabs the
video and transmits it.
4. The receive side rtpvb receives the packets, reassembles the jpeg
data and passes it to the decoding board. Currently the video must be
displayed on a separate NTSC display (TV). We're working on getting it
to run in overlay mode so the video output, at least for the CIF stream,
can be displayed in a window on the screen.

so for the time being, we need in addition an NTSC Video monitor. BMRC
will be able to source this hi-bitrate MJPEG stream either in multicast or
unicast.

-- Denis