wg-multicast - Re: [Fwd: fixed Q table bitrates]

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: [Fwd: fixed Q table bitrates]

  • From: Markus Buchhorn <>
  • To: Toerless Eckert <>,
  • Cc: (OpenMash),
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: fixed Q table bitrates]
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:42:38 +1000

At 19:38 23/08/00 -0700, Toerless Eckert wrote:

>Actually i was hoping that i wouldn't need to hear the word MJPEG in the

I still have several Fore AVA/ATV streamers that I want to deploy with
MJPEG - unfortunately they are only native ATM, but they do provide a vic
that can read it through a Fore ATM card. I'm hoping to get something set
up to rtp the stream. These boxes do the same trick of variable-Q =>
"constant" bit rate as Lawrence's codecs.

>new century anymore, but i guess MPEG2 encoders are still too expensive ?

I have a new MPEG2 (and 1) card from Sigma Designs (ex Real Magic) sitting
on my desk in my office (unfortunately in Australia, I'm in Beijing this
week :-) ). Cost is $US761 from Provantage.com. (yes, a 3 digit price), I
have seen them up to about $900 at other sites (excl. shipping).

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/product_dvr.htm

Looks quite impressive, up to 15Mb/s MPEG-2 at PAL/NTSC resolution. Totally
in hardware, single PCI board. If anybody wants to whip me up a Linux/*BSD
driver I'd be grateful, but for the time being an NT box is Ok too.

I'm going to work on an RTP (and maybe ATM) streaming interface for this
card when those round tuit's start to appear again. I would hope that Sigma
are already working on this themselves. They have a NetStream card that
decodes streamed MPEG - but I can't find how the streams are encoded. I'm
guessing RTP, but it would be nice if they said so.

Cheers,
Markus

Markus Buchhorn, Advanced Computational Systems CRC | Ph: +61 2 62798810
email:
,
snail: ACSys, RSISE Bldg,|Fax: +61 2 62798602
Australian National University, Canberra 0200, Australia |Mobile: 0417 281429