wg-multicast - Re: So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups

  • From: Hugh LaMaster <>
  • To: David Meyer <>
  • Cc: , , ,
  • Subject: Re: So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:08:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Hugh LaMaster wrote:

> OK, now I understand the problem. Basically, you want to use
> the available I2-provisioned bandwidth to send high-bandwidth
> multicast from I2 site to I2 site, and, *not* use commodity
> internet connections, which are generally lower-bandwidth
> and more expensive. It is really a question of addressing
> the multi-layered internet connections with varying levels of
> service agreements, AUPs and so on.

Actually, I see that this is only half the problem.
The other half is preventing users out in the commodity
world from trying to join your HDTV Shuttle broadcasts
and whatever and clogging up your smallish commodity
connection with lots of 24 Mbits/sec MPEG-2 video streams.

[OK, this time I really understand.]

Since every site will have different provisioning for
their commodity connections, [some have OC-48 POS, others
are still trying to serve 40,000 students and faculty with
a single T1 connection], it seems to me that rather
than try to administer an I2-wide admin scope boundary, why not
have the sites which have low-bandwidth commodity connections,
and, therefore, have a potential problem, configure their
routers with outgoing rate limits? e.g.:

interface [whatever]
:
(etc)

ip multicast rate-limit out 6000

(or whatever limit they need to impose to keep the multicast
bandwidth as required)

It seems to me that this has the benefit that only sites
which have a problem or a potential problem on a particular
link can impose the limit without requiring other I2 sites
to join in a common policy/administrative procedure...

-Hugh

--
Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21, ASCII Email:

NASA Ames Research Center Or:

Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000 No Junkmail: USC 18 section 2701
Phone: 650/604-1056 Disclaimer: Unofficial, personal *opinion*.