wg-multicast - Re: So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups

  • From: Hugh LaMaster <>
  • To: David Meyer <>
  • Cc: , , ,
  • Subject: Re: So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 17:00:52 -0700 (PDT)

Dave,

I guess I missed the discussion about a need for I2-scoped
addresses. At one point, I recall suggesting something like
it myself, but, that was back when we were all running dense-mode
and we needed it to prevent flooding meltdown.

Now that we (I2 participants) are sparse-mode across backbones
and exchanges, I don't see a requirement for I2 admin-scoping.
>From the internal-privacy point of view, "I2 scoping" would
provide zero privacy. So, why bother?

NASA already has NASA-level admin scoping at 239.0.0.0/8,
with local subdivisions underneath that. We could
change it, but, I'm not sure what "I2 Scope" would actually
mean in practice that would be different from "Internet Scope".

I think the answer to the flooding-related problems has already
been discovered: now that we are running PIM-SM, we can, and have,
been able to demonstrate very high bandwidth applications without
affecting non-participants.

And, if the issue is actually global address allocation,
why not use 233.AS-AS.# whenever necessary (and, just
let sdr do it when not necessary)? [I like to keep things
administratively simple.]

In short: what am I missing?

Regards,
Hugh LaMaster

--
Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21, ASCII Email:

NASA Ames Research Center Or:

Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000 No Junkmail: USC 18 section 2701
Phone: 650/604-1056 Disclaimer: Unofficial, personal *opinion*.