wg-multicast - So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups

Subject: All things related to multicast

So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups

  • From: David Meyer <>
  • To:
  • Cc: , ,
  • Subject: So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:33:49 -0700 (PDT)

Here's what I propose.

(i). Let's use 239.0.0.0/8 for I2 scoped (non-global)
groups

(ii). Someone run a registry for the assignment
of this space (I think that depending on
sdr is too hard here, although such groups
could be annouced this way).

Alternatively, we could use glop style address
assignment to get started. I'm in favor of this since
everyone would know what they have, and there would
be no administrative overhead. You would also know
immediately which AS was sourcing the
group. References for glop style:

draft-ietf-mboned-static-allocation-00.txt
http://gigapop.uoregon.edu/glop

(iii). Gigapops/customers leak 239/8 though both admin scope
boundaries and SA filters with I2 networks. I2
backbones must also forward (leak) packets and SAs
from 239/8.

Comments?

Dave