wg-multicast - (fwd) from Hugh LaMaster

Subject: All things related to multicast

(fwd) from Hugh LaMaster

  • From: (Kevin C. Almeroth)
  • To:
  • Subject: (fwd) from Hugh LaMaster
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:38:40 -0800 (PST)

From: Hugh LaMaster
<>
To: Jill Gemmill
<>
cc:

Subject: RE: Las Cruces Summary

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Jill Gemmill wrote:

> > 1. There is no MBone in the backbone (slide 2). The term MBone has
> > lots of meanings and lots of people disagree. We are deploying
> > native multicast.
>
> This is an interesting observation. I have only heard these broadcasts
> referred
> to as MBone up until now (that is, the technology is native multicast; the
> broadcasts are MBone? not worth differentiating?) This is probably a common
> mis-nomer

Kevin discussed this but I will chime in. There are people who
prefer strongly to use "Mbone" to mean the part of the internet
with global multicast connectivity. When Peter Lothberg's view,
(that multicast is no big deal and will become ubiquitous), is
achieved, then Mbone == Internet.

Other people use "Mbone" to mean other things. Such as:

- The area of mrouted-(ip-in-ip tunnels with dvmrp
connectivity)-tunnel-connected networks; or,
- A loosely-knit club of multicast-connected internet people
who do cool stuff (which some people think is good, others
think use this association to label multicast as a toy);
- etc.

All the different meanings make "Mbone" a tricky word to use.

Personally, I think ubiquitous multicast is now feasible,
and, will become "no big deal" as Peter Lothberg said in his
IP over WDM presentation.

--
Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21, ASCII Email:

NASA Ames Research Center Or:

Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000 No Junkmail: USC 18 section 2701
Phone: 650/604-1056 Disclaimer: Unofficial, personal *opinion*.

  • (fwd) from Hugh LaMaster, Kevin C. Almeroth, 03/12/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • (fwd) from Hugh LaMaster, Kevin C. Almeroth, 03/12/1999