wg-multicast - (fwd) from Hugh LaMaster

Subject: All things related to multicast

(fwd) from Hugh LaMaster

  • From: (Kevin C. Almeroth)
  • To:
  • Subject: (fwd) from Hugh LaMaster
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:38:14 -0800 (PST)

From: Hugh LaMaster
<>
To: Jill Gemmill
<>
cc: Jeremy George
<>,

,

Subject: RE: Las Cruces Summary

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Jill Gemmill wrote:

> So far ViDe seems to be focusing on server-centric videoconferencing. What
> I'm
> doing is not (yet) a part of the ViDe effort.
>
> Since I'm working on this for our campus, anyway, I would be willing to
> participate in a bakeoff.
>
> We're also interested in getting some REAL information about NIC's and which
> support multicast in hardware (and, which do address filtering in hardware).
> Vendors do not seem to be very forthcoming with this type of info.

I don't have the URL handy, but, there are a couple of web pages
somewhere, at NPS (Monterey) I think, and, somewhere as the MIT
CAIRN pages, or some of the related FreeBSD pages, that describe
the multicast features of the different cards in some detail.
The last time I looked, of the 10/100 PCI bus NICs, the DEC Tulip-
based cards were the clear winners, and, they are supported almost
everywhere. However, some people prefer the new Intel implementation
because it is more efficient CPU/memory-bus-wise. Look for those
pages; I don't know if they have been updated to include gigabit
ethernet.

--
Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21, ASCII Email:

NASA Ames Research Center Or:

Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000 No Junkmail: USC 18 section 2701
Phone: 650/604-1056 Disclaimer: Unofficial, personal *opinion*.

  • (fwd) from Hugh LaMaster, Kevin C. Almeroth, 03/12/1999