wg-irr - Re: [WG-IRR] Welcome to the IRR Working Group

Subject: Registry Working Group

Re: [WG-IRR] Welcome to the IRR Working Group

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [WG-IRR] Welcome to the IRR Working Group
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 20:19:39 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Replying to your original email to make things simpler but acknowledging it
was your reminder just now that got me to do it...

> On 12/14/18, 3:34 PM,
"
on behalf of Michael H Lambert"
<
on behalf of

wrote:

> All,
>
> In a fit of non-lucidity I told Dale I would be willing to chair the
> IRR working group. I've been remiss in sending out an initial message, but
> here goes.
>
> I'll throw out some discussion points for possible directions for the
> group. I figure we can schedule a call for sometime in early January to
> provide some focus to what I'm sure will show up on > this list. I expect
> a lot of this to mesh nicely with points on Grover's agenda for the Global
> Summit MANRS workshop.
>
> o Motivation for using IRR. Potential loss of peering with Google and
> Cloudflare is significant, but that isn't the only reason.

Honestly, for me the threat of losing connections to Google *is* the only
reason. I didn't know Cloudflare was potentially in the mix as well, but
they're important too. I've managed to survive this long without any serious
use of IRR and I don't see any advantages to it; the records I have are
because they're what my ISPs require me to have. I make no use of them.

> o How-Tos for various aspects of IRR. Working with registries, tools,
> etc.

YES. I don't know what I'm doing with IRR, and the documentation I've found
is all about how it could be used, not how it is used. I want the absolute
minimum configuration that will let me keep Google/Cloudflare/whoever happy.
If there's additional configuration that keeps us in good standing with the
MANRS world, that's fine too.

> o Perhaps this would culminate with a white paper on best practices.
>
> Is concluding the group by the end of June realistic? It's not
> supposed to be long-lived.

I just looked at the Google peering portal and don't see anything about IRR,
or any complaints about my lack of a coherent IRR configuration. Apparently
the January 1 deadline, wasn't. I'm glad, since doing actual work on the
network has been keeping us plenty busy without adding make-work, but I do
wonder that we haven't heard anything more from Google about this.

Bill.