sip.edu - Converter for existing digital phones to SIP

Subject: SIP in higher education

Converter for existing digital phones to SIP

  • From: John Todd <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Converter for existing digital phones to SIP
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:10:25 -0800

The question came up today on the conference call about the company that produces legacy digital-to-SIP converters. The company is called Citel (http://www.citel.com/) and I have had some direct experience with them. It seems like a pretty useful device for those schools who have a large installed base of handsets that they wish to avoid re-purchasing, but I don't know what the cost model looks like since I'm just in the tech department and things like "dollars per port" I try to avoid asking about if I can at all help it.

I've performed testing on the Citel devices, and I've been fairly pleased with their functionality. I have not done a "full" test of features (VMI, session-timers, bridged line appearances, etc.) but the platform works quite well in the other tests I have done and is not difficult to set up via the web-based interface. I am using Meridian phones as my testbed, and have used Asterisk as the proxy/registrar. "It works" is my short summary.

They convert Meridian (many models), Norstar, Avaya Definity, NEC, Ericsson, Panasonic, Toshiba, and others into SIP signalling.

JT

--
John Todd
Networking, Tello Corp.