sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Converter for existing digital phones to SIP

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Converter for existing digital phones to SIP

  • From: Art Gaylord <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Converter for existing digital phones to SIP
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:28:54 -0500

Hi,

We tried a Citel unit for our Nortel phones and had mixed success. We mostly have very old model handsets and it recognized some of them but not others. On some of the models it did work with the basic functionality worked but not many of the extra features that make the proprietary handset special to people. In general, however, it looked like a good device. We decided not to use it because it wasn't going to handle enough of our handset collection and because the cost/device was rather high (that is a high fraction of the cost of buy new SIP phones.)

In fairness, a final caveat we looked at the Citel over a year ago, probably closer to 2 years, and have not reevaluated it since.

Art

p.s. 400 Snom phones deployed and counting.

--
Arthur S. Gaylord
Director, Computer and Information Services

508-289-3329