sip.edu - Kerberos based authentication for SIP

Subject: SIP in higher education

Kerberos based authentication for SIP

  • From: Prashant Kumar <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Kerberos based authentication for SIP
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:53:46 -0800 (PST)

Hello All,

Recently I spoke to some of our customers and they said that SIP RFC 3261 not supporting Kerberos based authentication is a huge problem in the University environment since there is no mechanism in HTTP digest to get the the un-hashed password (token) back.

Is there a huge interest for Kerberos Authentication in SIP environment? If yes, I could work on a draft which proposes Kerboros based authentication scheme in SIP.

Thanks,
Prashant.