sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Can XMPP and SIP be complementary? (was SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16)

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Can XMPP and SIP be complementary? (was SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16)

  • From: Christian Schlatter <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Can XMPP and SIP be complementary? (was SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16)
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 23:32:52 -0500

Deke Kassabian wrote:
http://www.jabber.com/index.cgi?CONTENT_ID=619

Christian Schlatter
This article suggests that SIP should be used for voice/video and
XMPP for IM&P. I see the following problems with this approach:

- SIP and XMPP use different address formats, which would introduce
the hassle of having one address for voice/video and one for IM&P

Yes, I certainly agree that that doesn't seem ideal.

- clients would have to implement two RTC stacks, achieving
interoperability between implementations would be more difficult

Another good point. I guess that means a developer that wants to provide a client with an integrated experience based on XMPP IM&P and SIP voice would, essentially, be writing two clients with one GUI. Is that about right?

Yes, that is also how I see it. Adding a SIP stack to an XMPP client would enable a user to click on a buddy list entry to call the respective buddy via SIP. Of course this only would work as long as there would be a mapping between XMPP and SIP addresses available to the client. Another possibility would be to deploy a SIP proxy (or redirect server) that handles XMPP-to-SIP address translation.

- SIP and XMPP use their own authentication protocols, so there
would be
the need for single sign-on (same username/pwd for SIP/XMPP)

Is it reasonable to think of this as similar to my mail user agent having to authenticate to smtp servers, imap servers, and ldap servers? In that case, authentication may involve 1, 2 or 3 servers and perhaps as many sets of credentials. It makes for some config and UA complexity, to be sure. But generally, it is manageable.

Is this similar?

That's an interesting comparison, and yes it's similar. An XMPP/SIP client would need

XMPP server
XMPP username/pwd
SIP username/pwd

(STUN/TURN server)