sip.edu - Can XMPP and SIP be complementary? (was SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16)

Subject: SIP in higher education

Can XMPP and SIP be complementary? (was SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16)

  • From: Deke Kassabian <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Can XMPP and SIP be complementary? (was SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16)
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 14:18:59 -0500

Bill Reid wrote:
Here is an article talking about SIP, SIMPLE, XMPP and RTP. [...]

"In contrast to popular perceptions, RTP, XMPP, and SIP are quite
complementary and provide the basis for a complete solution to
real-time communication needs."

http://www.jabber.com/index.cgi?CONTENT_ID=619

Christian Schlatter
This article suggests that SIP should be used for voice/video and
XMPP for IM&P. I see the following problems with this approach:

- SIP and XMPP use different address formats, which would introduce
the hassle of having one address for voice/video and one for IM&P

Yes, I certainly agree that that doesn't seem ideal.

- clients would have to implement two RTC stacks, achieving
interoperability between implementations would be more difficult

Another good point. I guess that means a developer that wants to provide a client with an integrated experience based on XMPP IM&P and SIP voice would, essentially, be writing two clients with one GUI. Is that about right?

- SIP and XMPP use their own authentication protocols, so there
would be
the need for single sign-on (same username/pwd for SIP/XMPP)

Is it reasonable to think of this as similar to my mail user agent having to authenticate to smtp servers, imap servers, and ldap servers? In that case, authentication may involve 1, 2 or 3 servers and perhaps as many sets of credentials. It makes for some config and UA complexity, to be sure. But generally, it is manageable.

Is this similar?

-------
Deke Kassabian, Senior Technology Director
Information Systems and Computing, University of Pennsylvania