sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Can XMPP and SIP be complementary? (was SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16)

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Can XMPP and SIP be complementary? (was SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16)

  • From: Duane <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Peter Saint-Andre <>
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Can XMPP and SIP be complementary? (was SIP.edu Call Notes - 2/16)
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:22:06 +1100

Deke Kassabian wrote:

- SIP and XMPP use different address formats, which would introduce
the hassle of having one address for voice/video and one for IM&P

Yes, I certainly agree that that doesn't seem ideal.

I emailed Peter about this asking for some clarification, and the only reason SIP and XMPP aren't 100% compatible is due to the fact XMPP can contain UTF-8 characters.

--

Best regards,
Duane