sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Weekly SIP.edu Call Today

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Weekly SIP.edu Call Today

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Weekly SIP.edu Call Today
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:47:44 +0800

> - SIP.edu Peering - By the Numbers - Dennis
>
> I'd like to revisit the topic we discussed in the fall -
> specifically the idea of peering with "open" SIP service providers.
> What are the possible service models? Who would operate a central
> service?

One possible solution I can think of is to utilize the ENUM service.
ENUM allows the number peering to be established by querying the DNS
servers. Because DNS server is under the control of each organization
(just as SIP.edu mechanism), this might be a natural solution.

A critical problem is that we need a "root server" which knows
the DNS servers of other SIP service providers, which are designated by
different phone number prefixes.

Sorry I shall not be able to join the conference call because of the
time different, but I am interested in knowing the conclusion of this
issue.

Sincerely,
Quincy
Jan. 20