sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu implementors workshop

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu implementors workshop

  • From: Steve Blair <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] SIP.edu implementors workshop
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 07:49:10 -0400

Dennis Baron wrote:

said:

Who's calling Yul? Also, are they prepared to declare themselves as
"up"?

I called him yesterday - so I think we can count that unless you or
Steve wants to talk to him.

It counts with me.

He's got CSPS running and a Cisco phone and Xten soft phone - I
wouldn't call that "up". That actually would be a good conversation
for the workshop - "what are the requirements for a SIP.edu
implementation."

I wouldn't say this is sip.EDU "compliant" either. I don't think it would hurt
to reiterate what we mean by sip.EDU "compliant" but at the same time I don't
want to push away sites that are in the early stages of deploying SIP based
solutions.

When I think of sip.EDU I see two versions of the architecture. Version 1 consists
of proxy(s) and gateway(s) that allow calls delivered to the proxy over IP to be forward
through the gateway to a PSTN endpoint on the campus of the proxy owner. The
forwarding happens if and only if the addressee is found in the proxy database.
Calls may originate from endpoints inside or outside of the campus in question.

Version 2 includes the ability to do "free form" PSTN dialing. That is to say the
called party number doesn't have to be an on campus extension. It can be whatever
range of telephone numbers the proxy owner wants to permit. Version 2 also includes
the ability to do "free form" IP dialing. That is to say that called party number may be
an IP addressable device reachable via the proxy in question governed by the rules
of the proxy owner.

Using these definitions I consider UPenn to be a version 1 site.

-Steve

Dennis

--
ISC Network Engineering