shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] RHEL6 libcurl-openssl

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] RHEL6 libcurl-openssl

  • From: Steve Traylen <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] RHEL6 libcurl-openssl
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 20:12:47 +0200

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Peter Schober
> * Peter Schober
> <>
> [2011-05-21 11:15]:
>> * Steve Traylen
>> <>
>> [2011-05-21 05:13]:
>> > * ldconfig is called explicitly on the new lib directory and does not
>> >   update the central ldconfig database.

Hi Peter,

>> How will this prevent shibd from picking up libcurl from RHEL?
>> (To put it another way: how will shibd find the new library? I seem to
>> not understand what the above sentence means, sorry),

> Looking at the spec file I understand the above (ldconfig -N) but I
> still don't see how this will prevent shibd from picking up the wrong
> copy in /usr/lib[64]?

It's not related to the ldconfig at all. To stop shibd pulling in the
"real" curl
in addition shibd would also so need.

%filter_from_requires /libcurl\.so\..*/d
%filter_setup

shibd of course definitely needs a

Require: libcurl-openssl

Having said that I don't see this as real problem , apart from anything else
it's hard to imagine a system with enough on for shibd but no curl installed.
The option is there though with the %filter technique.

> * Steve Traylen
> <>
> [2011-05-21 05:13]:
>> Not sure which comment you meant, just to be clear I was promoting
>> the LD_LIBRARY_PATH rather than renaming the library
>
> I thought LD_PRELOAD was necessary to make sure shibd pickup the
> correct version first?

I think either would work in reality but:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH overrides the system directories when searching
for library names so libcurl.so will be picked up from /opt/curl-openssl and
/usr/lib/libcurl.so will never be used.

LD_PRELOAD entries on the other hand are force loaded irrespective of
library name
and methods in them override the system library method.
/usr/lib/libcurl.so is still loaded
though.

I would say LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the convention for where the library is
not changing
name and you want to use one rather than the other....

Hmm LD_PRELOAD is wrong in fact since any methods in /usr/lib/libcurl.so not
in
/opt/curl-openssl/lib/libcurl.so will remain effective. This merge
seems wrong even
if the difference is actually nothing in this case.

--
Steve Traylen