shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] RHEL6 libcurl-openssl

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] RHEL6 libcurl-openssl

  • From: Steve Traylen <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: Ronald Schmidt <>
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] RHEL6 libcurl-openssl
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 22:49:52 +0200

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 8:14 PM, Cantor, Scott E.
> See previous comment. Unless you're volunteering to help figure out how to
> do it, of course.

Not sure which comment you meant, just to be clear I was promoting
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH rather than renaming the library which as
you said is hard, I've tried the library rename and as you say it is hard.

Attached is patch to the SLC6.0 curl RPM [1] which I'm fairly sure
is an unmodified RHEL6.0 one.

It does the following:
* Renames the package to curl-openssl (and libcurl-openssl for the libs)
* Locates all the files in /opt/curl-openssl , it does this by a few a
%global declarations at the top. This is better (easier) idea that
/usr/lib/openssl-curl
since it's not obvious where the bins should go with that.
* Does filtering of the Provides that AutoProv generated. The aim is
this package
never gets pulled in by mistake by some other application wanting
the "real" curl.
* Does filtering of requires so that e.g libcurl-openssl does not
require "libcurl.so.4()(64bit)"
and relies on the explicit requires of libcurl-openssl. The aim is
not to require
the "real" curl which of course this does not.
Similarly shibboleth or what ever should explicitly require
libcurl-openssl rather than
relying on e.g 'libcurl.so.4()(64bit)' being auto generated and remove
'libcurl.so.4()(64bit) from the requires. [2]
* Adds the directory /opt/curl-openssl to package since otherwise it
will be unowned.
* ldconfig is called explicitly on the new lib directory and does not
update the central ldconfig database.
* I changed from nss to openssl but guessed it so check obviously.

Completely untested , never even installed once but it should be a good
starting
point.

Built openssl-curl packages and .src.rpm [3]

[1] http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/cern/slc6X/i386/SRPMS/curl-7.19.7-16.el6.src.rpm
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:AutoProvidesAndRequiresFiltering
[3] http://cern.ch/straylen/rpms/curl-openssl

(Those tests do take a long time....)