shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Clustering & Data Storage

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Clustering & Data Storage

  • From: Michael Schwartz <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Drummond Reed <>
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Clustering & Data Storage
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 10:06:44 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

The Internet architects created a Internet scale naming system to replace the hosts file, but they didn't see the name to create an Internet scale /etc/passwd file. XRI answers this finally.

One more point: /etc/passwd is limited to users. XRI provides a way to address objects in general. People are one kind of object, but at Gluu we use XRI's to address people, groups, organizations, and personas.

I've frequently heard mention of virtual organizations. How do you look one of those suckers up? XRI provides an answer to that. And when you return a list of the people in a virtual organziation, how do you discover information about them?

The XDI protocol, a current OASIS spec, is designed to enable semantic messaging between XRI endpoints. With the inclusion of "link contracts," and signing, this would create an Internet scale infrastructure for secure data exchange that would enable institution's to leverage their organizational IDP key.

The sample use case for XDI messaging is Pokens. If I "high four" my Poken with someone at a different university, how can we exchange information in a federated manner (i.e. without a central authority like facebook).

I could go on for hours, but alas, I have to work today :)

BTW, I think the plugin is a good idea and I am contemplating adding it to Gluu's development list.

- Mike